ALDI is a discount grocery chain that operates over 1,000 stores in 31 states. Through a select assortment and convenient grocery shopping approach, we’re able to offer our customers the highest quality everyday items at the lowest possible prices—it’s Simply Smarter Shopping. Click here to find the ALDI store nearest you.
It was Christmas Eve and as we were checking the cupboards for everything we needed to make the Frosted Reindeer Cookies for Santa and of course somehow we didn’t have anymore chocolate chips or pretzels. So off to the store we went. I knew the lines at WalMart would be INSANE so I was more than happy to head over to Aldi’s to pick up a few things.
I love how as soon as you walk in you are hit with the sales and deals of the store. That is VERY helpful to me. I also was surprised at how many things I picked up that I didn’t necessarily go to pick up, but could not pass up a great deal. Check out some pics of my shopping trip below:
One thing you may not know about Aldi’s is that they also have merchandise for sale at a great price I saw Barbie’s, Nerf Guns, and even Sesame Street toys at great prices. I picked up something last minute for one of my nieces because I could not pass up the deal!
Around the store their were “Aldi TRUTHS” and I liked this one the best: Aldi TRUTH #66: Our low prices are worth celebrating – before AND after the holiday.
The following tips were developed by certified sommelier and owner of Amusée, Leslee Miller, on behalf of ALDI. ALDI carries exclusive award-winning wines, most of which are priced at $6.99 or less.
- Add Some Sparkle. Sparkling wines aren’t just for special occasions. From an after work get together to a dinner party or holiday celebration – sparkling wines are a fabulous way to start or end any occasion. These wines are best paired with the company of friends and family, and are sure to make any occasion festive. ALDI will carry both Prosecco and Geisweiler Sparkling Brut, available during the holiday season, which is typically served warm. Go ahead, try something new. You just might find yourself a new favorite!
- Check the Label. One of my favorite things about the wine program at ALDI is how they make it so easy for shoppers to understand the wines. The labels on the bottles not only give an idea of how the wine will feel on the palate from a weight perspective, but also how it will trigger the dry/sweet sensors on the tongue. In addition, each bottle serves up a number of descriptions regarding the wine’s character.
- Create a Signature Wine-tail. Pick up one of the incredibly priced whites or reds from ALDI and use it as a base for creating your own signature cocktail from scratch. Add a touch of pear purée to the Chaza Moscato, or snip a few fresh herbs and add a garnish of ripe plum slices to the bold Burlwood Cabernet Sauvignon and voilà – your own signature cocktail – easy to create and affordable.
- Break the Rules. Many think red and white wines have to be paired with meat and seafood, respectively. When planning your Thanksgiving dinner menu and wine choices this year, think more about the style of cooking technique that you’ll use on your bird. Roasted? Serve a white wine to soak up the buttery flavors of the basting. Deep-frying or grilling your turkey? Almost always you’ll find a red wine such as the Sovinello Private Collection Pinot Noir from ALDI will pick up the smokier flavors of the char better than a white.
- Sweeten Up the Spice. The best way to counteract any dish that has intense flavors of heat and spice is to balance your meal with a sweeter wine. The Landshut Riesling from ALDI will do the trick to counter- balance any level of super spicy heat, from Thai pepper to cayenne.
- Pair Similar Flavors. Check the label to see if the wine exudes flavors – like pineapple, basil or pepper – and use those same flavors when developing your recipes. For example, if the wine is described as smoky and peppery, such as the Walker Napa Valley Red Wine, then pair it up with a rich, smoky plate of barbeque or a smoked roast to complement the similar flavors. On the other hand, if the wine is described as having a pineapple or strawberry flavor to it, like the Biasini Lambrusco, add a pineapple salsa to accompany your fresh fish, or sliced strawberries to a spinach salad. ALDI makes it even easier to find the right wine by including specific details about the wine right on the back label.
- What Grows Together Goes Together. One of the simplest tips for successful food and wine pairings is to pair wines from international regions with foods from the same areas. If you’re preparing a multi-coursed Italian dinner, reach for an Italian wine to pair like the Villa Malizia Pinot Grigio available at ALDI.
- Wine and Chocolate. Many know that dark chocolate is best paired with a full bodied red wine. However, there are other ways to enjoy this combination as well. For example, milk chocolates, especially those with a nougat, caramel or nut element, pair best to round, fuller whites. The caramel-like sweetness of milk chocolate rounds out the toasty notes of grapes on this spectrum nicely. Try the Winking Owl Chardonnay paired with the Choceur Hazelnut Chocolate or Moser-Roth Milk Chocolate from ALDI for a perfect match. And never dismiss sweeter wines like the Chaza Moscato or Biasini Lambrusco – these varieties are known for being some of the world’s best wines to pair with any type of chocolate.
- Remember, Pairing is Subjective. If you love a particular bottle of wine and it doesn’t necessarily go with anything on your plate or dinner table, then so be it. Wine, after all, is considered 90 percent experience. If you love the wine because it’s one of your favorites, then it’s guaranteed that you will enjoy it with your meal. ALDI makes it easy to pick and choose your best pairings. Most wines are priced at $6.99 or less, so go ahead and try them all.
- Step Outside Your Comfort Zone. We all know how easy it is to buy the same wines each time you shop because it’s what we know and feel comfortable with. With the number of high-quality, award-winning wines at ALDI at unbeatable prices, you can explore the globe from any region, grape or style from the Toca Diamonte Malbec (Argentina) to the Sunshine Bay Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand). Or for a twist on you holiday wine selection, pick up the Christkindl Glühwein, available during the holiday season, which is typically served warm. Go ahead, try something new. You just might find yourself a new favorite!
- The More the Merrier. ALDI award-winning wines are a perfect complement to any gathering. With an international selection of wines, most of which are priced at $6.99 or less, we make it easy for you to serve your guests a variety of high-quality wines for the lowest prices. At these prices, you can afford to fill your bar or entertaining table with an exciting selection of varietals, ensuring there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
Wow! I can honestly say that I now know more about wine than I did before. We picked up the Wine of the month: Geisweiler Sparkling Brut. I really enjoyed a nice sparkling wine with our Christmas dinner. It was a perfect addition! So if your looking for great deals and savings or adding a new wine to your menu make sure you stop by Aldi’s and give them a chance. It will be well worth it!
***I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ALDI. I received a gift certificate to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating. All opinions are my own.***