Hostess® CupCakes Celebrates 90 Years as America's Favorite Cupcake!
Friday, September 18, 2009 0 Post-It Notes
Hostess® is proudly celebrating 90 sweet years of the brand’s iconic squiggle-topped cupcake – the best selling snack cake in history. For almost a century, the delicious icing, freshly baked cake and signature vanilla-crème filling of Hostess® CupCakes have made this treat one of America’s favorite snacks generation after generation. Interested in some Cupcake trivia? Check it out:
- Call it a cupcake caper. Mystery surrounds who "invented" the original Hostess® CupCake in 1919, however, we know it was baking executive D.R. "Doc" Rice who, more than 30 years later in 1950, added the signature seven squiggles and vanilla-crème filling. While others have tried to capitalize on the popularity of this ubiquitous decoration, the squiggle – which features seven loops on every cupcake – is unmistakably Hostess®.
- Hostess® CupCakes are the best selling snack cakes in history. And it’s the Hostess® CupCake – not the Hostess® Twinkie® – that holds the spot as the best selling Hostess snack cake year after year.
- Americans eat more than 600 million Hostess® CupCakes every year.
- One of America’s BBQ capitals has a sweet spot for Hostess CupCakes. Residents of Memphis, Tennessee eat the most Hostess CupCakes per capita of any city across the country.
- While it's hard to improve on perfection, consumers have been able to sink their teeth into a few twists on the original over the years, including the popular Golden CupCakes, which debuted in 1999. Hostess® also offers seasonal themed cup cakes including “Baseballs” in the spring - cup cakes with vanilla icing and red-swirl “stitching.”
- Captain CupCake, who was introduced in the 1970s, is one of several Hostess snack “mascots” along with everyone’s favorite cowboy, Twinkie the Kid.
- The original Hostess® CupCake slogan was "You get a big delight in every bite!"
- 1 round bowl (ideally, with high sides, like a cereal/chili bowl)
- 1 Hostess® Cup Cake
- 1 scoop of chocolate chip (or favorite flavor) ice cream
- 1 can of whipped topping
- 1 bottle of chocolate syrup
- 1 big spoon
Drizzle the inside of dish with syrup. Slice Hostess® Cup Cake in half, horizontally (through the cake, not the frosting). Place the bottom half in bowl, cream side up. Scoop your ice cream on top of the cake. Drizzle a little (or a lot) more chocolate syrup over the ice cream.